HostAP bugs

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jan 22 23:37:35 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:40:22AM -0800, mike-hostap at tiedyenetworks.com wrote:

> 	I've asked this several times and gotten no response but I want to
> bring it up again because it's becomming a serious issue. I have one tower
> running hostap (actually I have 4, but  this one in particular shows a
> problem that the others don't) gives me these strange messages along the
> lines of:
>
> handle_ap_item - addr1(DA)=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff not own MAC

Which version of the driver are you using? If it is not from
development branch, those messages may be triggered by beacon frames.
Current CVS version should avoid this for beacon frames, but other
broadcast frames, like Probe Requests may still reported in some cases.
Just commenting out that line in handle_ap_item() (hostap_ap.c) should
be suitable fix for this.

> 	In conjunction with this, there is an occasional
> problem which I think is related where hostap will disassociate all
> clients and not allow any new reassociations, for no obvious  reason or
> cause.

Which station firmware version are you using? There are some bugs in the
Host AP mode which may cause this kind of issues after card reset. I
haven't seen this myself, but you might want to try upgrading to STA f/w
1.7.5 or newer for some bug fixes.

> second pcmcia card still has clients and is still working), there just
> areen't any clients associated any more on the first AP. I have to reboot
> the box at that point and then everything is fine again. This happened on
> an AP with 33 clients and all the syslogging I do doesn't reveal anything
> obvious, no flood of kernel messages, no nothing...

Do you include debug level messages in syslog? If not, does 'dmesg' show
anything useful? Does COR sreset (iwpriv wlan# reset 1) fix this state?