/proc/net/wireless not updating

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jan 22 23:11:33 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 03:26:45PM +0100, Michael Kebe wrote:

> seems like /proc/net/wireless is not updating unless iwconfig is
> executed. For example the monitor software wavemon uses this and it very
> annoying always to update manually...

> Is this a bug?

Well.. I would call it a "feature" with Linux 2.6.x.. ;-)
get_wireless_stats is now called in atomic context and Host AP driver
cannot anymore sleep in that handler like it used to do. It should be
possible to schedule a work task to update the statistics whenever
/proc/net/wireless is read, but it would update the numbers only for the
next read, not the current one. Another option would be to update the
statistics periodically even if get_wireless_stats is not called. This
would make the numbers more or less current.

> If yes, will it be solved?

Yes, eventually.

> Is this solved in the cvs version?

I believe I added some code that is supposed to update the quality
values from software watchdog every 10 seconds. However, I'm not sure
whether this works correctly.