how to use wpa supplicant

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jan 22 22:57:57 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 06:02:38PM +0100, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> can I use 2*linux with hostap (CVS), an ad-hoc net and wpa supplicant
> for a secure encrypted wireless lan connection?

No, WPA needs to have Supplicant and Authenticator implementations. In
case of infrastructure/managed mode, the AP has WPA Authenticator and
the client has WPA Supplicant. In case of adhoc/IBSS, all stations need
to implement both the Authenticator and Supplicant roles. In other
words, WPA Authenticator would need to be first implemented for this
kind of operations.