pcmcia-cs support in CVS?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Jan 4 20:17:47 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:23:37AM +0000, Roy Badami wrote:

> Does hostap CVS still support pcmcia-cs, or do I have to use kernel
> PCMCIA?  I ask because I've never been able to get kernel PCMCIA to
> work on my laptop (Toshiba Portege 3490CT, ToPIC100)

Well, in theory this is supported. However, I have not used external
pcmcia-cs modules for ages, so I would not have noticed if something
has changed..

> hostap-driver-0.1.2 seems to work OK for me under 2.4.23 and pcmcia-cs
> 3.2.5, but hostap CVS gives huge numbers of unresolved symbols (eg
> pcmcia_parse_tuple)

I replaced CardServices() calls with matching pcmcia_*() functions just
a week or so ago. Apparently, the external pcmcia-cs modules do not
provide the new functions. You might be able to "fix" this be reverting
changes in rev 1.47 of driver/modules/hostap_cs.c in the CVS.

The new functions have proper type definitions and fix issues on some
platforms, so I would prefer to use them. In addition, it looks like the
kernel modules for PC Cards are the way to go, so I'm kind of prepared
to "officially" drop support for the external pcmcia-cs modules in the
development branch of Host AP driver (stable branch and 0.1.x versions
would still work with external modules). Are there good reasons not to
do this?