DWL-650 rev P - no progress with CVS hostap..

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Sat Feb 28 22:18:00 EST 2004

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Joshua Kwan wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 09:27:04PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Joshua Kwan wrote:
> > Then you probably have one of those incompatible systems I described in
> > the list: http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2004-January/005287.html
> >
> > I still don't have a solution for that, but I know that linux-wlan-ng has
> > exactly the same problem on that hardware.
> >
> > See kernel messages.
>
> Hmm, that's a damned shame. I do have a TI Cardbus controller:
>
> 02:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1250 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
> 02:09.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1250 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)

And I must add that the error messages are very similar to those on I got
on TI PCI1410
(http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2004-January/005256.html):

wifi0: init command completed too quickly - retrying
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 1 ms
prism2_enable_aux_port(1) timed out

> But the card does work flawlessly in Windows. Could I somehow flash it
> there with something special to make it usable in Linux?

You cannot flash it because the flash is very short - it can only hold the
PDA and the CIS.

If the card works in Windows on the same machine, it's very encouraging
because it shows that the problem is in hardware, not in software.

The workaround it to use a different PCMCIA bridge, such as plx9052 based
one (such as Linksys WDT11), which worked on that "bad" machine where TI
and Ricoh bridges didn't work.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin