unused information elements

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Feb 21 21:53:00 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 03:10:46AM +0100, Martin Schiotz wrote:

> So, beacon frames are generated by firmware. I have now been looking in the Intersil's "Prism Driver Programmers Manual" v. 2.30 rm025.
> I don't see any way how to add extra information to a beacon frame.

Yes, with the latest versions of the station firmware (1.7.x and newer).
See the current CVS snapshot for an example of how this can be done
(generic element RID). wpa_supplicant uses this to add WPA IE into
(Re)Assoc Request frames and hostapd uses this to add WPA IE into Beacon
and Probe Response frames.

> I was thinking about maybe to generate my own beacon frame (skb) and send this to the card for transmission ??

That's not going to work correctly because Beacon frames have to include
exact timing information from the MAC and Prism2 firmware does not
provide way for sending your own Beacon frames with such information.