Need help with my setup

shogunx shogunx at sleekfreak.ath.cx
Fri Feb 20 19:39:38 EST 2004

Bud Smoker,

true.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Bud Smoker wrote:

> dear mailing list.
> i have two wireless devices:
> root at dell:/usr/src/linux# iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"Redhawk"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.447GHz  Access Point: 00:40:96:5B:63:55
>           Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=24 dBm   Sensitivity=1/3
>           Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality:38/92  Signal level:-74 dBm  Noise level:-100 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:295  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:944  Invalid misc:83011   Missed beacon:0
>
> wlan1     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"linux"
>           Mode:Master  Frequency:2.422GHz  Access Point: 04:20:DE:AD:BE:EF
>           Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power:12 dBm   Sensitivity=1/3
>           Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:1  Invalid misc:1616   Missed beacon:0
>
> root at dell:/usr/src/linux#
>
> wlan0 is my primary internet connection, lets just say my IP address off of a T1 Class C subnet is 208.178.221.55, apparently my ip allows me to alias additional ip's to my wlan0 interface via the command:
> ifconfig wlan0:1 208.178.221.56
> ifconfig wlan0:2 208.178.221.57
> etc...
>
> wlan1 is a linksys card working on upgraded firmware that i am attempting to use as an access point to share tcp/ip and internet with my room mates.
>
> now, with these facts in mind, what does one do to make the dhcpd daemon running for the access point on wlan1 to distribute one of my ip addresses to new wireless clients, and fully share my internet connection?
>
> as of now, they use the ip 10.1.1.1, i cant ping google, i dont have a concept of routing or anything, id like to know what step to take to fully give wlan1 the ip address of 208.178.221.56, (wlan0's ip is 208.178.221.55). everything is kind of complicated to me, all i want to do is distribute some of my alias ip's to clients that associate with my wlan1 access point

thats a great idea.  essentially you are building a wireless router.  not
sure on the dhcpd end, but i can help on the routing.

with a setup like this:

host A
	wlan0 208.178.221.55
	wlan1 10.1.1.1

host B
	wlan0 10.1.1.2

you already have a default route from host A  to the internet

route add default gateway 10.1.1.1

sets the default route to the internet from host B

host A must also, in this configuration, have ip forwarding set:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

and have ipmasq going:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j MASQUERADE

you will need to have all of the relavent netfilter/iptables modules
compiled along with your kernel for this to be functional.

if you truly seek unique addressing for all hosts you are routing to, you
can get practically infinite ipv6 space by following these instructions
regarding host A:

http://changelog.complete.org/node/view/61

or using a tunnel broker such as freenet6.net.

> how do i do this wireless to wireless bridge?

bridge is a bit of a misnomer.

>please if possible include a demonstration script i can modify to prefrence
> i do not know what to do next,
> now with these clues in mind, where does one go towards doing this?
> i do not wish to keep 10.1.1.1, rather i wish for my wlan0's ip address to be the gateway on wlan1's connections, and wlan1's connections get an IP address from the wlan0's subnet.

my oh my, it seems that you should become good friends with the ip
command to do it that way...

> i do not wish to limit their access with petty firewalls and masquerading, they need to have full identd, open port access... i do not want them to appear on irc with a tilde by their userid (if they decide to use irc). there should be no problems with FTP and PASV/PORT, it should be a fully functional internet connection since their ip address is going to be 208.178.221.57,58,59,etc
> it should all be pretty basic to an expert.

or move to ipv6;)
and smoke a bud for me.