DWL-650 RevP/DHCP Problem?

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Mon Feb 16 19:58:01 EST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Kalyan Chintalapati wrote:

> I think the problem I'm having is with DHCP. First let me tell you what
> I'm doing.

> 1. modprobe hostap_cs; modprobe hostap_crypt_wep
> 2. ./prism2_srec -gs wlan0 pm010102.hex
> 3. ./prism2_srec -gp wlan0 pm010102.hex
> 4. ./prism2_srec -rp wlano rf010800.hex
> 5. ifconfig wlan0 up
> 6. iwconfig wlan0 essid "cuairnet" mode Managed enc restricted key 0
> 11111111111111111111111111

It's better to use iwconfig before ifconfig.  This way, you go on the air
with proper configuration.  Otherwise, you start as an access point with
ESSID "test" and then reconfigure the card to be a station.

> <<<<<<Fine till here. Can successfully tcpdump and see the traffic on
> wlan0>>>>>>

Is it traffic between other hosts?  It would be more interesting to see
the output of iwconfig at this point.  It should show if the station is
associated (see "Access Point").

> 7. dhcpcd -t 20 -d wlan0
> dhcpcd: MAC Address = 00:0d:88:51:5a:da
> dhcpcd: your IP Address = 172.19.134.120
> # dhcpcd-hook: State: Up. Leaseinfo: /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-wlan0.info
> dhcpcd-hook: Running ifup wlan0 -o dhcp
>
> But, after this ifconfig wlan0 doesn't show me an IP address. It shows me
> inet6 address. Also, the "link" led on the card starts blinking (not as if
> when there's traffic, but like it goes on/off/on/off/on/off...)

See the output of ifconfig and iwconfig.  In particular, see if the
interface is still up and the card is still associated.  Maybe dhcpcd
brings the interface down temporarily.

I think the rest should be discussed with your sysadmin if you don't want
to post the output of ifconfig here.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin