bridging/mac spoofing?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Feb 15 22:05:29 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:33:19PM -0500, Jason Straight wrote:

> Well, one more question while on the subject. What about these repeater type
> AP's which act as AP's and clients at the same time on the same radio? Do
> they do real MAC bridging? If so could hostap operate in repeater mode the
> same way and from that mode "spoof" mac src?

Some use WDS, some may simulate multiple STAs. Layer 2 bridging can be
used with WDS. The station associates with the AP and operates as a
normal station as far its own frames are concerned, but when the frame
is from different MAC address, WDS frame is used. I have tested this
with Host AP driver and it is able to act in a similar way. I haven't
tested with other APs, but at least the sniffer logs seem to match so
these could even interoperate.