unused information elements

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Feb 15 19:21:36 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 01:11:29AM +0100, malinko at malinko.adsl.dk wrote:

> I would like to use some of the unused space available in the information
> elements part when transmitting 802.11 management frame.

What "unused space"? Which frames? Host AP or managed mode?

> I have been looking at the source code of the HostAP driver to find where tx
> frames fill out the information element part - with no succes. Is this filled
> out by firmware or software ?

It depends.. In Host AP mode, firmware generates Probe Response and
Beacon frames. Other management frames are generated by the driver (or
hostapd, if used). In Managed mode, firmware generates all management
frames (with some exceptions needed for WPA).