packet injection questions

kala_maico at tiscali.it kala_maico at tiscali.it
Tue Feb 10 03:42:12 EST 2004

Hello,

well, I tried quite a lot of operating modes, and I didn't notice any correlation
between them (every operating mode seems to be independent from other modes)

If my memory doesn't fool me, I was in Master mode (default when turning
hostap on) and then switched to Monitor mode.
Afterwards, I switched to Managed mode.

But I got the same problems in Monitor mode when going from Master to Managed
and then to Monitor.

Anyway, I run some tests more and I got this:

injecting packets WITHOUT hostapd mode  (=> prism2_param wlan0 hostapd 0)
 (default):

master mode: no frames are sent
managed mode: frames are manipulated in a way I cannot understand (what
is sent is fare from what I wanted)
ad-hoc mode: 4 bytes are added at the head of the frmae (don't know where
they come from)
pseudo ad-hoc (prism2_param wlan0 pseudo-ibss 1) the same as ad-hoc mode

injecting packets WITH hostapd mode (=> prism2_param wlan0 hostapd 1) :

managed mode: works, but station is trackable
master mode: works, but station send beacons (at least 1 every 67 secs =>
prism2_param wlan0 beacon_int 65535)
ad-hoc mode, works, but bssid is set as the bssid of the cell
pseudo ad-hoc: works, bssid is set to zero (as in monitor mode)

Last thing that I probably forgot to mention: I always need another machine
to sniff packets, this machine runs libpcap 0.7.2 and ethereal 0.10. card
is another Prism2, f/w 1.3.6 running with hostap in monitor mode.

Thanks for help!
/Giorgio

I am trying to replicate your error and had a couple of questions to ask
you.

Before you put the sending-side card in monitor mode, what mode was the
card in? (ad-hoc or managed or master?)

"2) I set the card in managed mode the
>, making it associate to an AP.
This works. Unfortunately, the forging station is not hidden at all and
easily trackable....my thesis is on Intrusion Detection Systems so this
is an issue I have to be careful with"

After you put the card in manag
>d mode, do you put it in monitor mode?

regards,
Kishore

Tiscali ADSL SENZA CANONE:
Attivazione GRATIS, contributo adesione GRATIS, modem GRATIS,
50 ore di navigazione GRATIS.  ABBONARTI TI COSTA SOLO UN CLICK!
http://point.tiscali.it/adsl/index.shtml