wpa_supplicant with xsupplicant (WPA with EAP/RADIUS)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Feb 8 20:43:26 EST 2004

My patch set for xsupplicant was merged into xsupplicant CVS tree and I
just verified that the current CVS snapshot of xsupplicant works with
EAP-PEAP. I was able to use the current FreeRADIUS CVS snapshot as the
authentication server and wpa_supplicant with xsupplicant in the client
to complete EAP-PEAP/MSCHAPv2 authentication and WPA key handshakes. In
other words, no patching was required to any of these programs
(although, current CVS snapshot was required for all). This should make
it easier for people who are interested in testing WPA with RADIUS
server.

Example configuration for xsupplicant:

network_list = all
default_netname = jkm

jkm
{
        type = wireless
        allow_types = eap_peap
        identity = <BEGIN_ID>jkm<END_ID>
        eap-peap {
                random_file = /dev/urandom
                root_cert = /home/jkm/CA.pem
                chunk_size = 1398
                allow_types = eap_mschapv2
                eap-mschapv2 {
                        username = <BEGIN_UNAME>jkm<END_UNAME>
                        password = <BEGIN_PASS>jkm<END_PASS>
                }
        }
}

Example configuration for wpa_supplicant:

network={
        ssid="jkm"
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
}

Both wpa_supplicant and xsupplicant need to be started. Please remember
to add '-W' option for xsupplicant in order to provide keying material
for wpa_supplicant.

wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -cwpa_supplicant.conf
xsupplicant -iwlan0 -cxsupplicant.conf -W