Kernel 2.6.2 Changes

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Feb 5 19:49:47 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 16:27, Stuffed Crust wrote:

> The way I look at it -- if you want "plug and chug", then use the
> orinoco driver or hostap or whatever.  How often can you say you have a
> true choice in driver software?  The main things linux-wlan-ng brings to
> the plate are an obscene amount of tweakability and the 802.11 mlme/mib
> interface.  Which is obviously not as important to you, or indeed the
> average joe.  But then the other drivers are GoodEnough(tm).

Linux-wlan-ng brings more to the plate than extreme tweakability and the
802.11 mlme/mib interface.  As far as I've been able to tell, the
drivers have a more broad list of supported devices.  They seemed to
work flawlessly with my card (an AirLink+)... sans encryption, although
I am not sure if that is the problem of the drivers or my configuration.

The in-kernel Orinoco drivers seem to pretty much have a narrow field of
supported cards in comparison.  HostAP seems to be about on par,
although now WEP isn't working for me with them.

Really, I wish I hadn't fried my Atmel card... those drivers were nice
and simple to understand and get working.  :-)

> Meanwhile, if more complete Wireless Extension that important to
> someone, I happily accept patches; in fact I apply almost everything
> that comes in, providing it doesn't break something else.
>
> Isn't that what Free Software is about, empowering the users?

Unfortunately the users don't necessarily have the skillsets necessary
to fix the issues.  Really, I have a choice in the matter.  Do I take
the time necessary to learn a little bit of the C language, then learn
how to write/hack hardware drivers (I know a little bit of C++, not C),
to patch wlan-ng for WE support... do I learn enough C and driver
hacking to patch up the in-kernel orinoco drivers, do I make due with
what is out there, hoping somebody else has the motivation to fix the
drivers, or do I spend $60 on a decent well supported card?

Ideally yes, free software is all about empowering the users... if they
want something, they go and do it.  In the real works, we users don't
have the skillset necessary to really do it.  :-(

Rob