Automatically selecting channel

Vaclav Dvorak vdvo at vdvo.net
Sun Feb 1 19:20:44 EST 2004

Vijay Raghunathan <vijay at ee.ucla.edu> wrote:

> As far as I know, it depends on the roaming mode. In mode "0", the card
> does automatic scanning (i.e., scans through all the channels for an AP
> with the essid that it has been set to). In mode "2", which is the manual
> roaming and scanning mode, this scanning is not done automatically. So,
> one can set the channel explicitly.

This raised my curiosity: doesn't the automatic scanning affect
performance? I suppose that for scanning, the card must briefly tune the
receiver to all channels in sequence, and therefore during that short
time period it can't listen to transmissions on the channel where it's
properly associated - is that true? Would disabling roaming help
performance, then?

--
Vaclav Dvorak  <vdvo at vdvo.net>
http://www.vdvo.net/