wpa-supplicant.conf Question

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon Dec 13 10:10:18 EST 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 03:49:35PM -0800, Nick Ellson wrote:

> I am using Gentoo Linux (a 2.6.9-rc1-mm4 Kernel) system with a Netgear
> WG511 Prism54 card.

Please note that the Prism54 support in wpa_supplicant is not yet
complete and driver_prism54 is not really useful for real world at the
moment. In addition, Prism54.org does not yet support WPA in client
mode.

> I currently have a Cisco AP1230 that runs an 802.1x SSID with a CSACS
> Radius server (PEAP). The Windows XP stations use the MS Zero Wireless
> configuration with WPA/MSChapv2 authentication, with I assume dynamic WEP
> as we don't enter one on the client.

WPA?? Or did you mean to say EAP/MSChapv2?

> I'd like to emulate this with the Linux side. I have gotten my card to
> attach to a No WEP, no Protection SSID on the same AP, but I am not
> getting anywhere with the WPA-Supplicant.

> Has anyone used the WPA-Supplicant to connect in this way that can tell me
> what options you used in the conf file? Or does my configuration with teh
> Netgear card toss up any red flags using the prism54 software rather than
> an NDIS wrapper?

You might be able to use driver_wext.c in wpa_supplicant to use the
Prism54.org driver in non-WPA modes, including IEEE 802.1X. However, I
have not tested this.