Two hostap access points in the same computer

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Dec 9 18:00:41 EST 2004

Right, it works if you're close-by, somewhat.

but try this:

turn-up card #1, on, say, channel 1, as an AP
go to range (farthest you can reach) with a notebook.   Run a
throughput test.
turn-up card #1, on, say, channel 6 or even channel 11
go to range with a second notebook
run simultaneous throughput tests

explain why you don't get 2X the single notebook test.

For your second assignment, go read up on "clear channel assessment"
and then figure out if the signal level of the first radio
is setting CCA on the second.   For the purposes of this exercise, you
may assume a 1m separation between the antennas (so 40dB of path loss),
2.2dBi antennas, an ACR of 41dB, with perhaps 20dBm more while
operating on 1 and 11, rather than 1 and 6 or 6 and 11.

here are some links to get you started:
http://www.google.com/search?
hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=ACR+802.11b+41dB&btnG=Search

Or hell, just read this.
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg05757.html or
this: http://www.netgate.com/support.php

jim