No WPA/RSN IE in association request

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon Dec 6 22:02:56 EST 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 03:47:31PM +0100, Project 2k4 wrote:

> I am trying to setup a Linux 2.6.9 AP with 802.11i/RSN/WPA-EAP using
> hostapd-0.2.5 on hostap-driver-0.2.5 with the below FW:

> Client/Supplicant is Win-XP-SP2.
>
> I am using XP's Zero-Conf thingy, not supplicant provided by PCMCIA
> manufacturer.

Which client driver and version are you using?

> I can auth correctly using WPA-PSK by setting wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK, and
> accordingly providing wpa_passphrase=somestring. No prob obtaining DHCP
> address and pinging between AP-client.
>
> But trying to setup wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK WPA-EAP, in order to
> authenticate using PEAP & WPA/TLS (freeradius) fails, repeatedly
> scrolling across screen (hostapd -d /etc/hostapd.conf):

I would recommend first testing whether a simpler setup with
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-EAP and wpa=1 works. Some clients may not like both PSK
and EAP being enabled at the same time and WPA2 has confused some
clients, too. Likewise, I would start with just one pairwise cipher,
i.e., wpa_pairwise=TKIP.