Updated WE-18 (WPA) proposal

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at ruslug.rutgers.edu
Tue Aug 31 04:54:58 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 06:20:01PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> >On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 01:55:52PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> >>Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> >

> ><-- snip -->

> >>Less of a trickle than a flood:  wireless-2.6 should be the target for
> >>development of shared wireless stack code.  As several drivers are
> >>currently using bits of HostAP, for example, wireless-2.6 should be a
> >>focal point for patches that modify these drivers to instead share the
> >>same code.
> >>
> >>Once this generic work is done, it would get pushed all at once to
> >>netdev-2.6, where it would receive testing in -mm.  Then, later, pushed
> >>to mainline.
> >>
> >>	Jeff
> >

> >Beides wpa_supplicant from hostap code (which is actually going into
> >WE18) what other code re-use is on the roadmap as of yet for wireless-2.6?
>
> Intel Centrino driver is re-using chunks of HostAP, and I'm looking at
> doing so for the RealTek 8180 driver I am about to publish.

Can someone elaborate on what "chunks" the centrino driver is using
from hostap?

Jeff what aspects are you looking to re-use from hostap?

I guess we at prism54 should also see what we can re-use too then.
Our next driver (a softmac driver) will have a lot more code since the
MAC will need to be implemented on the driver side -- I'm not yet sure
of the exact details as I haven't grep'd through the available code yet
I'm wondering though -- are there any other softmac drivers out there,
or to come soon?

	Luis

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E