Receiving frames in 802.11 and hostap.

Andrea G. Forte andreaf at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Aug 27 18:54:22 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I am currently trying to find the part of code in hostap that takes care
of received frames. From what I have seen so far, it seems to me that in
802.11 the STA "catches" all the packets on the medium and then it filters
them according to its MAC address (???). Infact, being the medium common
to all the STAs, there would not be a way for a single STA to find out if
a packet is for itself if not by filtering all the packets that it can
"hear".
Am I right or wrong???
If so, do you know which function in hostAP takes care of filtering the
received frames and decide which ones are for itself???
(All of this being in MANAGED mode).
Your help is very much appreciated as always.

Thank you,
Andrea