No WPA/RSN IE

Ben Weintraub benwei at veriwave.com
Wed Aug 25 18:33:04 EDT 2004

Hi,
I am trying to use wpa_supplicant with the hostap drivers to connect to
a Cisco Aironet 1100 AP which is doing WPA-PSK.  I have connected to
this access point from another client (a Mac) using WPA-PSK, so I know
it is working.  My wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
network={
   ssid="cisco_wpa"
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   psk="mypassphrase"
}

And when I run wpa_supplicant I get

--SNIP--
Scan results: 1
Selecting BSS from priority group 0
0: 00:11:5c:25:3f:d0 ssid='cisco_wpa' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0
    skip - no WPA/RSN IE
No suitable AP found.
--SNIP--

over and over again in a loop.  I tried sniffing from another client
while doing this to see if the WPA IE was actually there and it looks
like it was.  Does anybody have any ideas about what I'm doing wrong
here?
Thanks,
Ben