Promiscuous mode not working

Owen Mehegan owen at nerdnetworks.org
Sat Aug 21 13:26:46 EDT 2004

Hello -

I've been using the hostap drivers for my senao wireless card for a couple of months. One thing I have never been able to get working is promiscuous mode. I just upgraded to the latest version of the driver (0.2.4) and I still have no luck with this. Kernel version is 2.4.26. I saw one other person reporting this same issue, but it doesn't look like he ever got a solution to the problem. I'm wondering if this is specific to the senao card, which is why I mention that I'm using that one.

I've tried doing 'ifconfig wlan0 promisc' as well as just telling ethereal to use promiscuous mode on the wlan0 interface. Neither of those methods works, nor does tcpdump. The best I can do is set 'iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor' but then all I see is 802.11 data. If I'm associated with an access point and I try to use promiscuous mode, I still only see broadcast traffic and tcp data originating from my system.

If anyone can suggest a solution to this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Owen B. Mehegan (owen at nerdnetworks.org)
Cell: 617-230-3679