Received signal strength

Vinayak Naik naik at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Aug 17 22:05:54 EDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Vinayak Naik wrote:

Hi Denis,

Its an excellent utility!!! I tested it with linux-2.4.20. It works :-)

Since I am using handheld running linux-2.4.19, I tried to compile
hostap-0.2.4 + sensitivity patch for it. But it turns out hostap-0.2.4 is
not compatible with linux-2.4.19.

So I used hostap-0.1.3 alongwith sensitivity modifications in
hostap_ioctl.c and hostap_wlan.c, and compiled them for linux-2.4.19. I
have attached the modofied hostap_ioctl.c file to this email. It
worked, but the output of iwconfig is a bit screwed up. Here it is:

sh-2.03# iwconfig
 lo        no wireless extensions.

 eth0      no wireless extensions.

 Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 14
 of Wireless Extension, while this program is using version 16.
 Some things may be broken...

 wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"test"  Nickname:"stargate-41"
           Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:2.422GHz  Cell: 02:04:BB:75:4B:10
           Bit Rate:2Mb/s   Sensitivity=0/242700000
           Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Encryption key:off
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality:0/1  Signal level:-69 dBm  Noise level:-90 dBm

 Note the value of sensitivity. If I issue command "iwconfig wlan0 sens
 17", the output changes to Sensitivity:17/242700000. That's what I meant
 by it worked.

 I was wondering whether you have a version of your sensitivity patch for
 hostap-0.1.3, that would be great!

 Thanks,

 Vinayak