The problem of bridging a wireless adaptor..

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Aug 3 03:14:38 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 12:39:18PM -0700, Christopher Dobbs wrote:

> Standard bridging does not work.  I know I have tried just about
> everything that I can to make it work.

Former statement does not automatically follow from the latter one..
Standard bridging (assuming it means something like bridging at layer 2)
does indeed work, if it is used in modes that the IEEE 802.11 standard
allows to send packets with different source addresses (i.e., AP
("Managed") mode or WDS links).

> I am therefor working on a software package that will alow a sort of
> bridging over the wireless adaptor by tunnleing the bridge through the
> wireless.

> Also if  Jouni Malinen is interested this could become a standard part
> of hostapd. (If it is proven to work correctly)

I do not think hostapd should have anything to do with normal fast-path
data packet processing, so I do not see how this would be part of
hostapd.