How to recognize ACK event

Hongwei Zhang zhangho at cis.ohio-state.edu
Sun Aug 1 18:20:16 EDT 2004

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your reply.

>>Just to share my recent experience with hostap-ver-0.1.3, I found that
>>multiple TX interrupts seem to pop up for the transmission of a single
>>short UDP packet. This happens to unicast packets, but does not happen
>>to broadcast packets. I wonder what may be the cause for this
>>phenomenon?
>>

>I have no clue about your actual test environment, but...

I used two Linux boxes (Stargates 7.1 from Intel Research), with kernel
2.4.19 patched with wireless exetension 14. One node keeps sending
packets to the other node at some frequencies. I changed iwevent.c and
hostap_hw.c to check the number of TX as well as TXEXC interrupts from
the the firmware, then I compared this number to that of the short
packets sent in the application.

I wonder if the driver sends some control packets for certain
unicast-requests?

>Perhaps it's just that you're seeing the ARP request + the UDP
>transmission for unicast transmissions, while there's no ARP request for
>broadcast transmissions...

In my program, I used MAC address when calling UDP socket functions, so
there should not be any involvement of ARP even for unicast. Please
correct me if I missed anything obvious here?

Thanks,

Hongwei