Problem starting HostAp

Manish Amde manish at paradise.ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 21 17:56:14 EDT 2004

Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to HostAp so please don't mind if my problems are trivial.

I have downloaded the HostAp kernel rpm
kernel-2.4.20-13.9.HOSTAP.i686.rpm
<http://www.cat.pdx.edu/%7Ebaera/redhat_hostap/kernel-2.4.20-13.9.HOSTAP.i686.rpm>
from http://www.cat.pdx.edu/~baera/redhat_hostap/

But when I try to bring up my wireless interface, it cannot be brought
up. As soon as I revert to my old setting of connecting to the wirelss
router, it work perfectly fine. Could some body please tell me how do I
start the HostAp mode.

Also when I do "lspci" I get the following output.
Network controller: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)
        Subsystem: D-Link System Inc DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
        Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

But I guess this entry is not found on the hostap_cs.conf file given on
the webpage. Can someone tell me how do I modify the file and put in an
entry for this wireless card.

PS - I tried installing the linux driver after downlaodig src files for
my old kernel but there were some inconsistencies and make woudl not
work fine. Hence I used the this HostAP kernel.

Thanks,
Manish