Invalid CIS data solved

Joseph njmurphy1 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 12 00:21:49 EDT 2004

Hi All
	Well I have been plugging and unplugging cards like crazy.  Going over the
code to see what I can find and a thought arose out of the tar pit I call my
mind:  KISS.  Keep it simple stupid.

	So I went back to the basics.  Is the card plugged in?  Well the green light
is on.  Not simple enough stupid.  Is it plugged in right??

	So I pulled the pci adapter out and looked at it very closely.  Got all my
cards out and looked at them closely.  Yes there is a key on the card that
should prevent it from going in the wrong way.  Next simple question,  does
that key way work on your adapter?  NO it doesn't.  You can put the card in
any way you want, well choice of two actually.  The card has been in upside
down the whole time, with the green light on by the way, while I have been
working on this.  The keyways on the adapter are to far apart,  the card just
slips in between them.  So marked the adapter to show me what side was up,
duh I need a sign.  Plugged the adapter in right and then the card.  rebooted
and here is my dmesg:

hostap_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
hostap_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'
hostap_plx: 0.1.3 - 2004-02-08 (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
PCI: Assigned IRQ 11 for device 0000:00:0b.0
PLX9052 PCI/PCMCIA adapter: mem=0xd5800000, plx_io=0xe800, irq=11,
pccard_io=0xec00
hostap_plx: CIS: 01 03 00 00 ff 17 ...
hostap_plx: manfid=0x0156, 0x0002
hostap_plx: cor_index=0x1 cor_offset=0x3e0
Prism2/2.5 PC Card detected in PLX9052 adapter
PLX_INTCSR=0x1063
PLX_CNTRL=0x180066d2 (Serial EEPROM present=1)
hostap_plx: Registered netdevice wlan0
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 200 ms
wlan0: trying to read PDA from 0x007f0000: OK
wlan0: NIC: id=0x800c v1.0.0
wlan0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0
wlan0: STA: id=0x1f v1.4.9
wlan0: defaulting to bogus WDS frame as a workaround for firmware bug in Host
AP mode WDS

So I guess this means that I am up and ready to rock.  Having the green light
come on with the card in wrong really screwed me up.  And I am doing this on
a old k6 that is running at 333 Mhz.  So a kernel recompile is a long wait.

Thanks Pavel for your email, after reading it I knew that something simple had
to be going on because the card worked in my laptop and another desktop.  But
on both of those machines it's very clear what side is up.

So the moral of the story is:  When things are looking just to weird KISS it.

Joseph