Invalid CIS data

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Sun Apr 11 20:14:09 EDT 2004

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Joseph wrote:

> Hi All
> 	I have an 200mW Ultra Long Range
>  Wireless LAN PC Card from netgate:
> http://www.netgate.com/NL2511.html
>
> 	This card will come up as a n intersil 1.4.9 when I boot it with another
> system.  I believe it was 1.4.9 but it did come up and use the orinoco
> driver.  And it worked.
>
> 	I am trying to get hostap working with this card and a plx9052 controller.  I
> patched 2.6.2 with 0.1.3 and moved the files over to driver/net/wirless.
>
> 	I compile the hostap stuff into the kernel.  And reboot.  The error I get is:
> hostap_plx: CIS: f3 84 84 80 80 84
> hostap_plx: invalid CIS data
> unknown PC card - not a prism2/2.5 card.
>
> This is not true or the orinoco driver would not have worked.

The CIS data indeed looks invalid.  In fact, orinoco_plx is more strict
when is comes to CIS - it expects CIS to start with certain 8 bytes, which
don't match what hostap_plx printed for you.  orinoco_plx expects this (in
hex): 01 03 00 00 ff 17 04 67.

> I did some fumbling around and found there is a setting to ignore CIS info in
> hostap_plx.c on line 41.  This is setup to be changed as a module parameter.
> But I compiled averthing into the kernel.  I suspect that I should change
> static int ignore_cis = 0; to
> static int ignore_cis = 1;
>
> It's late now and I am off to bed but will give this a try in am.
>
> If this is the WRONG way to do it please let me know.  Or if there is a way to
> add my CIS info to the code how do I do that?

It may or may not work, but the fact is that orinoco_plx and hostap_plx
see the CIS area differently.  If hostap_plx fails to read other card
resources correctly, it will fail.  If the problem is specific to CIS, it
will work.

Last time I tried hostap_plx is was working fine.  But I didn't try to
compile it into the kernel.

The way to debug this problem would be to run "lspci -vvv" and see the
settings for the plx card, especially settings for region 2.  Then see the
line in the kernel log that begins with "PLX9052 PCI/PCMCIA adapter".
That would give you some idea.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin