failed to upgrade to 1.5.6 or 1.7.4 for 8008 chip

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Sep 30 21:52:30 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 05:39:06PM +0200, CoolJavaJoe wrote:

> In between I found here ( http://www.sown.org.uk/index.php/Prism2Flash )
> that I can flash into the RAM with the -i flag of prism_srec. Reading
> the sources of prism_srec.c I found the -i isn't supported together with
> -f. Why is there this difference?

-i is not allowed when writing to non-volatile flash memory because I do
not want to enable options that have potential for rendering cards into
unusable state that may require hardware changes to fix. I know at least
one case of NICID mismatch that failed to work on a card with the same
NICID, but different version number. In theory, you could change
prism2_srec.c to allow -i in this case if you are sure that you know
what you are doing, but be prepared to killing the card in the process.
If the RAM download worked, I would assume that the probability of the
flash version working would be quite high, but you never know without
testing (or by finding a suitable firmware document which might not even
exist ;-).