WEP problem - HostAP 0.0.4, Netgear MA401, Linksys WPC11

Ronan Mullally ronan at iol.ie
Sun Sep 21 19:00:37 EDT 2003

Hi,

Apologies if this is an FAQ.  I've had a quick look through the archives,
but didn't see anything recent which would help me.

I've got a box running 2.4.22 and HostAP 0.0.4.  It's got a Netgear MA401
PCI card installed and acts as my AP.  I'm running secondary firmware
1.4.9 from RAM on the card:

NICID: id=0x8013 v1.0.0 (PRISM II (2.5) Mini-PCI (SST parallel flash))
PRIID: id=0x0015 v1.0.7
STAID: id=0x001f v1.4.9 (station firmware)

I'm not running hostapd, just configuring wlan0 in master mode.  I have
WEP enabled.

I've got two laptops with Linksys WPC11 v3 cards (I don't have firmware
version numbers to hand, sorry).  I've no trouble running these cards
under Linux with WEP enabled - everything works fine.  I'm not using
hostap on the laptops - just the standard orinoco/hermes driver that
comes with RedHat 9.

When I try running these cards in Windows (Win2K) however I'm only able to
run them with WEP disabled.  Once I turn on WEP the cards will associate
with the AP but no IP traffic is exchanged between the laptop and the AP.

I'm guessing I have a WEP problem.  Under Linux the cards are configured
with 'iwconfig <i/f> enc ...'.  Under Windows I'm using the Linksys
configuration utility.  I've tried the one the cards shipped with as well
as the current version from the Linksys website.

I've spent a bit of time trying to figure this out, but gotten nowhere.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

-Ronan