Dynamic IP address assignment

tom at ceisystems.com tom at ceisystems.com
Fri Sep 19 01:29:58 EDT 2003

Jouni,

	That's exactly what I was thinking of.  The only reason I didn't
go out looking on the IETF page myself is that I've been typing email
replies since I sent my last one to this list.  I hate missing two full
days of mail.

	Anyway, I agree.  Since there is no standard, and the draft is
specific to say that an IP Addressing service would normally be handled
by Layer 3 devices (IP, etc.), it really goes well beyond the scope of
HostAP.

	That said, I'm sure someone could easily hack something up with
one of my many existing DHCP servers.  I would think something on the
order of registering a MAC address with the DHCP server, which would
then determine what IP to assign to the client once it made its request.
This is, of course, if it hasn't already been done.

Good luck,
Thomas Cameron