HostAP 0.0.4 locking up

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Sep 13 22:03:36 EDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 06:13:25PM -0700, Christopher Evans wrote:

> With the confirmation that James B Hiller gave me off list saying his
> system worked, I took a closer look at my set up.  As a note, I'm using
> debian unstable which has gcc default to 3.3.  I changed this set up to
> link to the stable 2.9something gcc.  The debs for hostap change the
> compiler to specifically call gcc-3.3 which resulted in incompatible
> kernel and modules.

I'm not completely sure I understood what version of gcc you used when
the system locked up. Was the kernel compiled with different gcc that
Host AP module? If yes, that will in many cases cause random looking
errors (gcc 2.9* vs. 3.* _will_ result in incompatible code). Can you
reproduce the lockup when both the kernel and the Host AP modules are
compiled with the same compiler version?