(alternatives to) Reliable 802.11g Card for hostap?

Ryan Verner xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au
Tue Sep 9 22:43:02 EDT 2003

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:20:20AM -0500, J Yunke wrote:
>
> >   I've been using hostap for an SMC 2602W card for quite a while, and it
> > works great.  I'm in the market to buy an 802.11g or 802.11a/g hybrid PCI
> > card, but want to continue using hostap.  Which card should I buy?
>
> Current Host AP driver supports only Intersil Prism2/2.5/3 cards. In
> other words, no IEEE 802.11g or 802.11a cards are supported.

That said - I'm been using hostap for loads of outdoor wireless links here in
Adelaide (Australia), and it's been beautiful; problem is that that 11mbit,
especially for a high traffic VPN link where users expect things to be as fast
as on a lan, isn't fast enough.

What do people here use for >11mbit stuff?  I'm considering getting some
802.11g access points (hardware), but my previous experiences with 802.11b
access points has been horrible to say the least - hostap installs have been
loads better, in almost every regard (configurability, speed, and reliability
[anything BUT cisco seems to drop out continually with >10km installs].