Host ap Going the way of the Dodo?

Sitsofe Wheeler sits at sucs.org
Tue Sep 9 04:58:08 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 22:43, Wuss912 wrote:
> Is host ap going to be supporting more types of cards or is it going to be
> fading away as it is getting more difficult to find compatible cards?
> Also does anyone have a good source for cheap hostap compatible cards
> (preferable somewhere that can ship to Europe cheap)
> thanks
This question keeps popping up and it's true that prism cards are not as
easy to get hold of as they once were. Perhaps it's time to put the
answer in the FAQ... Also the last reply to this type of message was not
in the list archives (what's up with that?) so I'm going to reproduce it
here:

> Is there a plan to support Realtek 8180 chipset in the nearest future?
> Cards using this chip are inexpensive and their transmitting power is,
> reportedly, higher than of any prism based hardware.

Do you know whether it has support for something like Host AP mode on
Prism2 (i.e., sending and receiving IEEE 802.11 management frames)? Is
technical documentation available for it to develop open source drivers?
If answer to these is "yes, it does support something like Host AP mode
and yes, documentation is available", it could well be worthwhile to add
support for it. If either of this is not the case, it will probably not
be supported in the near (or even distant) future.