Power levels / HostAP documentation

mike-hostap at tiedyenetworks.com mike-hostap at tiedyenetworks.com
Wed Oct 29 19:24:01 EST 2003

Howdy,

	First, thanks for HostAP.

	The Makefile for hostap has some depmod -ae statements in it which
won't work in my enviroment because the machine building it doesn't run
the kernel that it's being compiled against. Would it be possible to
either remove these from the Makefile, or include a conditional so that
these can be avoided when someone knows that it's going to fail?

	Secondly, with respect to powerlevels and somesuch, I don't see
anywhere this is discussed. In /proc/net/hostap/wlanxx/ I find
files with the mac addresses of the associated stations and
looking at them I see a statement such as:

last_rx: silence=164 signal=177 rate=110

	The rate paramater is pretty obvious, but what about the other
two? I don't necessarilly need dbm or milliwatts and realise that
these numbers can be subjective - the question is, what do the numbers
represent from the hardware's perspective and can I derive signal
level and linq quality information from them?

	Lastly, I get some strange messages from time to time of the form:

klogd: handle_ap_item - addr3(BSSID) xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx not own MAC

	Where xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is the mac address of the router on the
ethrnet interface directly behind the AP. I looked at the code where this
message is generated but I can't determine if it means that the ap
received a frame on the wireless side with a bogus mac address or what.
Any ideas?

Mike-