Card flashing green light...

Bjorn Wesen bjorn.wesen at axis.com
Mon Oct 27 07:35:06 EST 2003

Hi! I have a PRISM3 card running under hostap, which seem to now initialize
fine without problems, but it does not seem to work after initialization. I
try to run it in managed mode (iwconfig wlan0 mode managed). I have little
experience yet with hostap so I was thinking if someone has seen something
like this before and could hint on where to begin to look..

The symptoms are

1) the LED on the PRISM3 card is flashing steadily on/off with a period of 1
second. this is probably the firmware signalling something but I don't know
what.. normally it should flash when there is activity right ? this is
probably the best hint on what is wrong..

2) proc/net/hostap/wlan0/stats show problems with reception and
transmission, and these statistics are read out directly from the chipset
and firmware and should not be because of any problems with the driver right
?

# cat stats
TxUnicastFrames=0
TxMulticastframes=0
TxFragments=52260
TxUnicastOctets=0
TxMulticastOctets=0
TxDeferredTransmissions=1136     <-----------------
TxSingleRetryFrames=0
TxMultipleRetryFrames=0
TxRetryLimitExceeded=0
TxDiscards=0
RxUnicastFrames=0
RxMulticastFrames=24
RxFragments=24
RxUnicastOctets=0
RxMulticastOctets=928
RxFCSErrors=643                 <------------------
RxDiscardsNoBuffer=0
TxDiscardsWrongSA=0
RxDiscardsWEPUndecryptable=0
RxMessageInMsgFragments=0
RxMessageInBadMsgFragments=0

3) iwconfig reflects these errors, and seem to show that no AP is found
anyway (link quality 0/92) ?

# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"test"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.467GHz  Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44
          Bit Rate:2Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:-100 dBm  Noise level:-100 dBm

4) platform and firmware is:

  NICID: 0x801d v1.0.0
  PRIID: 0x0015 v1.1.2
  STAID: 0x001f v1.7.2