Can't set ESSID

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Fri Oct 24 23:17:41 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 07:12:17PM +0200, Jochen Haemmerle wrote:

> I have an IBM Notebook with a Mini-PCI (Prism2.5) wlan Card. I'm using Linux
> Kernel 2.6.0-test8 with the hostap-cvs and Wireless-Tools v26. All compiles
> great and even loading the kernel module works perfectly.
> Now, I set the Interface  with "iwconfig" in "mode Managed". This also works,
> but now, if I try to set the ESSID (iwconfig wlan0 essid "foobar") iwconfig
> doesn't seem to recognize the ESSID.

The latest CVS version does not fully enable firmware before the device
is set up. I had not noticed this change in iwconfig behavior, but it is
caused by this change. Once you set the interface up, the selected SSID
will be shown. In other words, Host AP driver (in Managed mode) does not
associate with an AP when the device is down.