Compile/Install Help

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Fri Oct 24 03:34:23 EDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Michael Griffis wrote:

> This is potentially a very silly question, so my thanks for your help
> and patience in advance.

No, it's a fairly good question with enough information to help you.
Silly questions don't even mention versions of any software.

HostAP is a kernel driver and compiles against the kernel source from
which the kernel was compiled.  It's impossible to compile modules
correctly without knowing the kernel configuration.  Since you didn't
compile the kernel yourself, the question is how to find the configuration
of your kernel.

> I am running RH9 (2.4.20-20.9 Kernel Upgraded via RHN) on an IBM T30 w/
> the IBM High Rate Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Adapter (Prism Card).

There is no standard way to do it for the kernels you didn't compile
yourself.  HostAP checks .config in the kernel tree, but you don't
have it.

There have been patches to check for the .config file in /boot, but they
are too Red Hat specific and too error prone.  I suggest that you find the
config file (I think it should be called /boot/config-2.4.20-20.9) and
copy it to the Linux source (/usr/src/linux-2.4), renaming it to
".config".  Then run "make oldconfig" in that directory.  In other words,

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
cp /boot/config-2.4.20-20.9 .config
make oldconfig
cd -