Why not transfert the wireless-independant AP functionalities onto a central Ethernet-PC ?

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Tue Oct 21 16:22:51 EDT 2003

Dominique Blas wrote :

> as you can see market AP products are evolving so fast that a new
> generation appears every 4 months.  I do not speak of 802.11
> standards but only about wireless-independant fonctionalities like
> WEP, WEP2, TKI, EAP, WEP key distribution, and so on.

	That's why sensible people/companies are deploying IPsec. Just
one IPsec gateway to serve any number of APs you want, and IPsec is
proven to be secure. Obviously, all the AP vendor want to lock you in
their hardware and upgrade cycle, so would rather pretend that IPsec
won't work.
	Now, if we could get IPsec accelerated hardware and proper
IPsec integration in the OS, life would be much better.

	Have fun...

	Jean