Unresolved symbol

Peter Osterberg Peter_Osterberg at home.se
Thu Nov 6 09:08:54 EST 2003

Dear gurus :-)

I see that I'm not alone with this problem, I've however not found any
posting with the solution to the problem...

I'm trying to install hostap-driver-0.1.2 on a box with a installed Netgear
MA311GE card.

I've compiled a new kernel 2.4.22 with the modules and modules versions
enabled.

The driver that I'm using is orinoco_pci.o compiled as a module. I'm not
sure weather this is the apropriate driver for the mentioned card but it
does work well in peer-to-peer mode.

Hostap is compiled with make pci and then make install_pci.

After that I do the following

insmod orinoco_pci
insmod hostap_pci which responds with:
Using /lib/modules/2.4.22/net/hostap_pci.o
/lib/modules/2.4.22/net/hostap_pci.o: unresolved symbol
hostap_init_data_R0d369408
/lib/modules/2.4.22/net/hostap_pci.o: unresolved symbol
hostap_free_data_R4570fd6c
/lib/modules/2.4.22/net/hostap_pci.o: unresolved symbol
hostap_set_roaming_R78c2b65f
/lib/modules/2.4.22/net/hostap_pci.o: unresolved symbol
hostap_set_hostapd_R16f2cef4
/lib/modules/2.4.22/net/hostap_pci.o: unresolved symbol
hostap_80211_get_hdrlen_R6903f16c

If I load module hostap before loading hostap_pci I get the following:

insmod hostap
Using /lib/modules/2.4.22/net/hostap.o
insmod hostap_pci
Using /lib/modules/2.4.22/net/hostap_pci.o
/lib/modules/2.4.22/net/hostap_pci.o: init_module: No such device
/lib/modules/2.4.22/net/hostap_pci.o: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by
incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

Besides hostap I've also compiled superfreeswan in the kernel as I think it
would enhance my wireless security a lot...

Any hints would be more than welcome!

Sincerely
Peter Osterberg