Genesis Mode

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Nov 4 00:46:00 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:24:39PM -0600, Dustin Marquess wrote:

> I have a Prism 2 D-Link DWL-650 card that WinUpdate was nice enough
> to kill for me.
>
> I want to fix the card (either using the DOS utility or HostAP), but
> in order to do that I need to get the card into genesis mode.

Do you know how badly the card was "killed"? In other words, are you
sure you need Genesis mode to fix it? Prism2/HFA3841 needs hardware mods
in the PC Card slot (or PC Card extender, if you happen to have one) for
Genesis mode. Using a PC Card extender with easily accessible pins/test
points would probably be the easiest method for this, but would of
course require that extender (if you don't have, you will probably find
it cheaper to buy new Prism2/2.5/3 card).. If the card still has working
Primary firmware image, you can avoid this since PRI image is all that
is needed for writing to flash.