Proprietary info sent on air?

Francesco Sigona francesco.sigona at unile.it
Mon May 26 06:23:02 EDT 2003

Hi,

Does anyone of you know if some kind of proprietary info is sent in frames by a Prism2-based card?

My question arises by observation of the size of beacon frames, sent by a card in master mode. By sniffing them via ethereal on a dedicated station, I can see a size of 59 bytes. But if I check the behaviour of RxMulticastOctests and the RxMulticastFrames counters in an associated station, in a session where beacons are the olny frame sent, I can easily compute the size (RxMulticastOctests / RxMulticastFrames ) and I get always 63 bytes.

What is this 4 bytes difference?
They are really sent on air, or are computed locally by the receving card?

Thanks in advance.