reset hangs, PRISM2_PCI_USE_LONG_DELAYS

Dave Hinkle hinkle at DerbyWorks.com
Wed May 14 14:59:53 EDT 2003

Hey guys, wanted to report that our problems aren't solved.  Still have
about 100 routers that randomly lock up their cards during rain storms.
Maybe I'll try turning on the use long delays code.

Can you think of anything I should gather from the router when the card
crashes?  In many cases I can still connect to the router.

I'll start by copying and pasting the dmesg tonight.

	David

-----Original Message-----
From: Jirka Bohac [mailto:jbohac at jikos.cz]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 4:20 AM
To: hostap at shmoo.com
Subject: reset hangs, PRISM2_PCI_USE_LONG_DELAYS

hi all,

tackling reset hang problems, one of our community found this in
prism2_pci_cor_sreset(local_info_t *local):

***
/* FIX: can jiffies be used this way from every place cor_sreset could
 * be
 * called? (mainly, spin_lock_irq? hw interrupt handler?) */

static void prism2_pci_cor_sreset(local_info_t *local)
{
        struct net_device *dev = local->dev;

        /* linux-wlan-ng uses extremely long hold and settle times for
         * COR sreset. A comment in the driver code mentions that the
         * long
         * delays appear to be necessary. However, at least IBM 22P6901
         * seems
         * to work fine with shorter delays.
         *
         * Longer delays can be configured by uncommenting following
         * line: */
/* #define PRISM2_PCI_USE_LONG_DELAYS */
***

Are the long delays really unnecessary for all cards?  On what
assumptions has this conclusion been made? Has anyone experimented with
this? Any problems solved with PRISM2_PCI_USE_LONG_DELAYS uncommented?

Couldn't this be part of the problem? (apart from the obvious race
conditions pointed out by Denis Vlasenko -- good work!)

Jirka
CZFree.Net, Czechia