Is hostapd really necessary?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Fri May 9 22:41:33 EDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 08:10:28AM -0700, Douglas Held wrote:

> I am running a public access wireless node.  If I am not using authentication, will I experience any benefit from using the user daemon?

If you only need a basic IEEE 802.11 access point without any additional
features provided by hostapd, there will not be much benefit from
running hostapd. This may change in the future, though. I'm still going
to change the default to use hostapd and eventually remove 802.11
authentication and association code completely from the kernel driver..
At that point, it will become bit more difficult to use new versions
without hostapd ;-).