printk and PDEBUG

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun May 4 02:22:08 EDT 2003

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 01:09:29AM -0500, Dinesh S Shenoy wrote:

> we r trying to send all the PDEBUG and printk messages in files like
> hostapd.c, hostap_ap.c etc to a log file.
> we tried adding our own printk's in the source code, and recompiled
> hostap, everything works fine but we can't see our printk messages in the
> "dmesg".

There is some major confusion here, if you are trying to use printk in
hostapd.c.. It is a user space daemon whereas driver/modules/*.c are
kernel code (and can use printk).

Assuming you are using a modern syslog daemon, you should be able to
direct all hostapd syslog messages into separate log file. Kernel log
entries might need a bit more work, but selecting entries starting with
'wlan#' should be quite good start. Anyway, printk should not really be
used for logging normal operation messages.

It would probably be more useful to provide a clean interface for
providing event logging into user space and make a user space daemon for
doing whatever it wants with logging. This should eventually happen with
hostapd.