Update on: Some more WDS queries + DHCP

Vic Berdin sndbeat at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 31 06:11:15 EST 2003

Hello,

Please disregard my previous post/query. It seems that
the problem is with my Win98PC. I'm using another
Win98 client machine, and everything seem to work out
fine!

I am also experimenting on broadcasting DHCP service
on my Master machine. My WDS repeater (WDS2) seem to
relay the DHCP service to its clients just fine.
Here's my latest setup:

Win98PC---air---WDS2---air---WDS1---wired---ISP
LinuxPC---wired---|

Where both Win98 and Linux PCs were able to grab DHCP
service broadcasted over WDS1 via WDS2. And both
machines were able to access the ISP by means of
normal layers (ap_bridge_packets=0). Anyway, I have a
new concern, and I'd be glad if anyone can comment on
how I execute the task. Perhaps there's a more sane
way on how to do DHCP on WDS.

On the course of my tests, I assume that DHCP request
can only be possible in WDS2 only after being able to
establish a WDS connection from WDS1, which means, a
static IP of similar net must be used, then
afterwards, a DHCP request may be called upon. I
tested it, and it works. However, I did not bother
implementing such since I can always set my DHCP range
to *NOT* include the static IPs I plan to use on my
WDS repeaters. Having done such, my repeaters will
always have static IPs, and my clients, acquired via
DHCP. Am I doing this right? Any comments on this?

Oh.. and also, my Linksys WPC11 does support hostap.
But I did gather some info over the net that Linksys
has already abandoned prism/intersil chips. So I guess
later Linksys cards no longer supports hostap
(shrugs).

TIA - Vic