WDS links & P2P mode?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Fri Mar 28 23:23:19 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:37:59AM +0000, Mike Saywell wrote:

> The wds interfaces are actually ethernet type interfaces, so broadcast
> based.  Although they are a point to point link between the base stations,
> they're not actually a point to point interface - like you get with
> a ppp etc.  The reasoning behind this (I suspect) is so that you can
> bridge the interfaces (exactly as you have done).  I'm wondering if they
> can be truely point-to-point as this simplifies the addressing :)

WDS links need to support sending arbitrary Ethernet frame over the
link. I haven't really used point-to-point type of interfaces during
last N+1 years, so could you please give a bit more detailed example
configuration of what you would like to do and why that needs
point-to-point interface? You can assign the same IP address in multiple
interfaces and then add suitable routing entries.