Maximizing 802.11b throuput

André Luiz Ribeiro Moutinho andre.moutinho at compsisnet.com.br
Thu Mar 13 08:24:44 EST 2003

Hi,

I am implementing a realtime video streamming application using
802.11b in order to transmit video data.
Transmitting MJPEG 320x240 at 30fps and 40% quality results a
3Mbit/s total bandwith. When I try to increase the video data
bandwith (for instance, rising JPEG quality), the radio channel starts
failing to transmit all video information. I would like to know what
is the REAL 802.11 data transmittion throuput (4 or 5Mbit/s ??) and
what could be done in order to maximize the data throuput. For instance,
trying to optimize the transmitted data block size.
I need to use the maximum data bandwith available in order to transmit
the maximum mount of video sessions possible.

Thanks a lot,

Andre Moutinho