NIC 0x8002 firmware upgrade

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Wed Mar 12 10:24:09 EST 2003

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 10:14 am, Jose Araujo wrote:
> Hy
>
> After browsing the archives and googling a bit, i managed to upgrade the
> station firmware to 1.4.9 and then with prism2_srec to 1.5.6, but i'd
> like to use firmware 1.6.3 to be able to hide my SSID from the beacons.

I thought 1.6.3 was internal and unavailable to the public.

> I know that hiding the SSID doesn't inprove much security, but i expect
> to use my wlan on limited hours and i don't want the SSID broadcasted 24x7.

It's not going to make a difference.  As soon as you try to associate, your
SSID goes out in the open, but your own hand.  If anyone is driving through
the area or specifically interested in you, the game is up at that point.

> Another thing that i would like to upgrade is the primary firmware, does
> anyone know where i can find it for this old NIC (to the curious is a US
> Robotics 2410).

I don't know.

--

Jason Boxman