DTIM (Power Save Mode) w/ HostAP

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Fri Mar 7 21:33:02 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 12:14:34PM -0800, Matt Peterson wrote:

> To follow-up with Jouni's DTIM response last July
> <http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostap/2002-07/1128.html>, has Intersil added
> such support in the 1.5.x f/w to support DTIM events in HostAP?

I haven't checked whether it has been added to station firmware (it is
available in AP firmware), but it is not a strict requirement for power
saving. Station firmware does take care of power save buffering of
broadcast/multicast frames, so driver does not need to handle DTIM
events. Of course, it would be nice to be able to get DTIM events, so
that the driver could have better control over broadcast/multicast frame
buffering (e.g., with help of larger buffer to handle short floods of
broadcast/multicast frames).

> Has anyone has success using power-save-mode-enabled STAs against HostAP?

Yes, it seems to work fine. There are few firmware bugs that might make
it a bit difficult to get station to use power saving mode, but these
have been fixed long ago (I think these were in 0.8.x, but I don't
remember anymore).