Typical CPU load?

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Tue Mar 4 14:19:49 EST 2003

Jason Riedy wrote :

> I'd really prefer the control hostap would give me, but if it eats
> more than ~15% of a CPU then I can't afford it.  There are some
> ominous noises in the list archives about inefficient bus usage
> (broken bus mastering?), and I haven't spent the time to understand
> the source yet.

	This has nothing to do with the source code and everything to
do with the hardware.
	All 802.11b cards supported under Linux are :
		o 16 bits
		o PIO (no shared memory, no bus master)
		o use somewhat bloated host<->hw communication
		<And USB is even worse :-( >
	So, it's not like you have a choice...

	Host based WEP adds some overhead, if you don't like that get
yourself an up-to-date firmware so that you can offload WEP.

	Regards,

	Jean